Selling or buying a used car in Alberta

At this time, we do not assist with the private car sales transactions in Alberta; however, we are exploring the possibilities.  In the meantime, here is the information regarding what you need to do to privately sell or buy a car in Alberta. 

It is recommended that the buyer and seller undertake the following steps and obtain the following documents:

  • Contact a registry agent or AMA to get a vehicle information report (describes the vehicle’s registration history in Alberta), a personal property lien search and/or car history.  You can also purchase a Canadian car history report here.
  • Obtain a safety inspection of the vehicle from a vehicle inspection facility.  It is required ONLY on vehicles last registered in another jurisdiction.  Before going to an inspection station, the person must get an Inspection Request from a registry agent.
  • Obtain the Canadian Police Information Centre database for stolen vehicles.

Requirements for registering a vehicle in Alberta at a registry agent (registry agents offer registration, information and licensing services on behalf of government):

  • The vehicle must be in Alberta
  • Documents needed:
    • proof of ownership (bill of sale)
    • proof of valid insurance 
    • identification
    • in an out-of-province vehicle, a safety inspection

A person other than the owner can apply for a vehicle registration, renewal, cancellation or transfer. The person must bring:

FEES and TAXES: Registration costs $84.45 for one year and $159.45 for two years.  There is no sales tax on private sales. 

Alberta Resources


Alberta Authorized Registry Agent logo

List of Alberta Registry Agents

Canadian Police Centre website screen

Canadian Police Information Centre

CAA AMA logo

Alberta Motor Association

inspecting a vehicle under the hood with a checklist

Vehicle Inspection Facility Search

Subscribe For Helpful Used Car Tips

Email Subscribe