Selling or buying a used car in Newfoundland

At this time, we do not assist with the private car sales transactions in Newfoundland; however, we are exploring the possibilities.  In the meantime, here is the information on what you need to do to sell or buy a car in Newfoundland privately:

You can purchase a vehicle history report here.  

It is recommended (not required) that the buyer and seller undertake the following steps and obtain the following documents:

  • Contact a registry agent or AMA to get a vehicle information report (describes the vehicle’s registration history in Alberta), a personal property lien search and/or Carfax.  
  • Obtain a safety inspection of the vehicle from a vehicle inspection facility.  It is required ONLY on vehicles last registered in another jurisdiction.  Before going to an inspection station, the person must get an Inspection Request from a registry agent.
  • Obtain the Canadian Police Information Centre database for stolen vehicles.

Registering a vehicle in Alberta:

  • Registering of the vehicle at a registry agent (registry agents offer registration, information and licensing services on behalf of government)
  • The vehicle must be in Alberta
  • Documents needed:
    • proof of ownership (bill of sale)
    • proof of valid insurance 
    • identification
    • in an out-of-province vehicle, a safety inspection


  • Registering a vehicle on behalf of someone else: another person can apply for a vehicle registration, renewal, cancellation or transfer. The person must bring: 


FEES and TAXES: Registration costs $84.45 for one year and $159.45 for two years.  There is no sales tax on private sales. 

Additional Resources or info heading…

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam at lorem sem. Nullam sit amet ipsum…

Subscribe For Helpful Used Car Tips

Email Subscribe